This past weekend marked Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for 5th May) a Mexican holiday widely celebrated in Mexico and The United States to celebrate and Mexican Heritage, Pride and to commemorate freedom and democracy. Because of all the fabulously colourful and wonderful pictures that were posted all over the internet this weekend of people indulging and celebrating in all things Mexican it sparked up a discussion on our most favourite Mexican exports, and we settled rather easily on the most classic of all cocktails The Margarita! So we scoured the internet to find what we think is the best top 10 margarita recipes around! We have gone from classic to extreme – take a look – Cinco de Mayo may be over for another year but it doesn’t mean you can’t indulge in a cheeky Mexcian cocktail or too!
1. Rhubarb Margarita by www.whatsgabycooking.com (Above Picture)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 rhubarb stalks, cut into small pieces
- 2 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 oz tequila
- 2 oz cointreau
- 4 oz club soda
- 4 oz simple syrup
- For the simple syrup: Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan with the chopped rhubarb. Bring to a rolling boil and let cook for 10 minutes until the sugar is dissolved the the rhubarb has released its color and flavor. Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
- For the rhubarb margarita: Combine the freshly squeeze orange and lime juice with tequila, cointreau, club soda and simple syrup. Shake in a cocktail shaker for 10 seconds and then serve
- Makes 2 very large rhubarb margaritas.
- 1½ oz. tequila
- 1 oz. Cointreau
- ½ oz. lime juice
- 1 oz. blood orange juice
- Dash of simple syrup
- Garnish: orange slice
3. Blueberry Lime by www.eatingwell.com
- 2 cups ice
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup blueberry nectar
- 1/4 cup seltzer
- 2 tablespoons frozen limeade
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 ounces tequila, optional
- 1 lime wedge
- Coarse salt
4. Cherry Beer Margarita by www.theblondcook.com
- (1) 12 ounce can frozen limeade concentrate
- 12 ounces cherry flavored soda
- (1) 12 ounce bottle of your favorite beer
- 12 ounces of your favorite tequila
- Kosher salt, for rimming glass
- Lime for garnish
- Cherries for garnish
- Rub lime wedge around rim of each glass; dip in kosher salt.
- In a large pitcher, mix all ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Serve over ice (if desired) & garnish with a lime wedge & cherry.
5. Frozen Raspberry Sangria Margaritas by www.olivia-rae.com
1 12 ounce bag of frozen raspberries
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2/3 cup tequila
2 tablespoons Cointreau
2 cups water
For the “sangria,” mix equal parts red wine and fresh limeade, plus lots of sliced limes and lemons (and ice). It isn’t true sangria, but for this drink it’s perfect — anything else would be too sweet.
Fill each glass with 3/4 margarita, 1/4 sangria, and a few sliced limes for garnish. If you prefer margaritas sweeter, just add a couple tablespoons of honey or agave nectar.
6. Jalapeño Margarita by www.foodnetwork.com
Make a big batch of margaritas with a twist.
Pulse 1 thin slice jalapeño, a handful of celery leaves, 6 ounces fresh lime juice and a spoonful of confectioners’ sugar in a blender. Mix with 16 ounces tequila and 8 ounces orange liqueur in a pitcher; chill. Serve on the rocks in salt-rimmed glasses.
7. Lavender Margarita by www.cookingchanneltv.com
- 2 oz. silver tequila
- 1/2 oz. Cointreau
- 1 oz. lavender simple syrup
- 1/2 lime
- dried lavender
8. Ruby Red Grapefruit Margarita by www.foodnetwork.com
- 1 wedge Ruby Red grapefruit
- Coarse kosher salt
- 6 ounces tequila
- 1/3 cup Ruby Red vodka
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1 cup Ruby Red grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed or from a carton
- 1/4 freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 2 crosswise slices Ruby Red grapefruit, cut into quarters
Use the wedge of grapefruit to rub the rims of 6 margarita glasses with grapefruit juice. Dip the rims in the kosher salt to coat. Set aside as you prepare the margaritas. Place the tequila, vodka, simple syrup, grapefruit juice, lime juice and ice in a bar blender and puree until smooth. Divide the margarita between 6 glasses and garnish with the grapefruit quarters.
9. Avocado Margarita by www.squidoo.com
- 1/2 ripe Hass avocado
- 2 ounces white 100% agave tequila
- 1 ounce Midori melon liquor
- 1 ounce lime juice (about one lime)
- 1 ounce agave syrup
- Add all ingredients together into a blender.
- Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Coat rim of glass in salt (preferably hibiscus salt, which you can buy below)
- Pour mixture into glass.
10. The Classic! by www.foodnetwork.com
- Ice cubes
- 3 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce Simple Syrup, recipe follows
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon Lime-salt-sugar, recipe follows
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add tequila, lime juice, and Simple Syrup. Cover and shake until mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds. (In general, the drink is ready by the time the shaker mists up.) Place Lime-salt-sugar on a plate. Press the rim of a chilled rocks or wine glass into the mixture to rim the edge. Strain margarita into the glass.